Thursday, June 24, 2010

West African Peanut Soup, or How My Kids Ate Kale

Oh, kale.


I'm supposed to like you. I know you're so very good for me, all dark green and leafy. But you're bitter and tough. That makes me unhappy.

But you won't win, kale. I will keep finding ways to trick myself into eating you. And trick the kids into eating you, too. Maybe I'll even convince them to like you. Stranger things have happened.

I've got one more trick up my sleeve now. This peanut soup with chicken recipe we tried tonight? The kids ate it up. Loved its peanut buttery taste and the almost-sweetness of it. The Boy even said he liked "the green stuff."


So, kale? So far this summer? Me: 1; you: 0.

Recipe below; printable version here.

WEST AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP

3/4 cup roasted and shelled peanuts
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken cut into chunks
Pinch of cayenne
Salt and pepper
6 cups chicken broth
2 yams (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into thick half-circles
8 plum tomatoes, cored and halved
1/2 pound kale, washed and cut into wide ribbons
3/4 cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth

Roughly chop peanuts with knife or in food processor.

Put oil in stockpot or large saucepan over medium heat; a minute later, add onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue cooking for another 3 or 4 minutes, until just coloring. Add 1/2 cup peanuts and the cayenne and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Stir in the stock and the yams, bring to a boil, and lower heat until just above a simmer. Stir in tomatoes and kale, then cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Stir in 3/4 cup peanut butter. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve, garnished with remaining peanuts.

Yield: 6 servings

Adapted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails